[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Dialectrics in Plate Capacitors

I have two sheets of 60mil 4'x8' HDPE.  I need to make a capacitor for
my 15kv 60ma NST.  I'd like to make a .02uf capacitor, but I'm not sure
if I can.  Will I need to put two caps in series to handle my NST?

Since I have 60mil HDPE, there's no way I can roll a cap and I've decided
that I'd rather build a stacked plate capacitor anyway.  My research
suggests that I should let the poly hang over the foil by at least one
inch on all sides, but I don't understand why this is necessary if I submerge
the plates in an oil with a dialectric strength equal or greater than that of
the poly.  If it won't puncture .06in of poly, why will it arc from end to end?
What if there was only a quarter-inch of poly overhang that was sealed with
silicone sealant?

Thanks - Rick Richard