[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Tiny tesla...

Ken,
High voltage IS really THAT dangerous.  The low voltage (120VAC) that you
feed most Tesla PSUs may be even more dangerous than the HV.  The output of
a small TC may not be able to hurt you, but even the smallest primary
circuits, HV PSUs, or 120V shocks can kill you.  I know that it's a much
disputed figure, but I have heard that as little as 12ma from one hand to
the other has been know to stop hearts.

I think that anyone who is mature enough to study TCs and use the internet
could successfully build a safe coil.  I recently helped a local high school
kid build a coil capable of 4+ ft arcs.  I told his parents in the beginning
that this was dangerous (read, deadly), but then I explained and
demonstrated the safety precautions that I use when dealing with HV.

Where are you located?  Maybe you could get together with a local coiler and
play around with their gear until you build some experience.  When you can
demonstrate to your mom that you are informed, maybe she will loosen up a
bit.

Tesla coiling is an extreme sport - no getting around it!

Good Luck,
Ross Overstreet
Huntington Beach, CA