[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Suggest a Design Please

Hi Norman:
Take it from one who has just gone through a learning curve. Do the math and
do the formulas first (Thanks, Charles Brush).
First, check Matt Behrends website. He has what you do first, second etc and
all the formulas including wintesla.exe for download.

http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~electronxlc/

Basically, my learning has shown that you start with your NST to determine
the tank cap value. Then the next step is to calculate the size, turns etc
for the primary. Once that is determined, you can calculate the resonant
frequency of the primary side. Then you calculate the 'right' secondary to
get the same resonant frequency but be sure to take into account the 'cap'
element of that secondary AKA the toroid. The whole thing is a balancing act
of primary vs secondary.

In my case, I had decided on a secondary design which with an appropriate
toroid size dictated the NST size which dictated the tank cap which dictated
the primary size.
In otherwords, I did it backwards. But I had made the investment in a
plexiglas tub and a bunch of #22 wire.

Hope I've been of some help although I'm a newcomer myself.
And if anyone thinks my comments above are off, I can accept that. Hey, I'm
still learning!

Ted
============================
Subject: Suggest a Design Please

Original Poster: Norman Hockler <norsan-at-bright-dot-net>

Hi Coilers,

Can someone suggest a design using the parts I have on hand, which are:

15kv -at-30ma NST
4" PVC thin wall pipe  (OD is 4.1875)
Plenty of 26 awg magnet wire for secondary.
5/16 copper tubing for primary (or most any other wire)

Seems best to start out with basic static gap  ( Yes...No ???)

suggestion for cap  value in uf??

I see reference to Wintesla program...where can I get a copy???  Are there
other programs available to calculate values??

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Thanks,  Norm