[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MicroSim Fault Analysis

Hi All,

	In an off list discussion, I realized that I have never really mentioned a
neat thing about modeling Tesla coils with MicroSim
(http://tesla.better-dot-org/files/80dlabe.zip).

	It is easy to simulate a streamer attaching to your caps, transformers, AC
wiring, primary coil etc.  Just add a switch to connect the output as you
please...  My present coil has had all the faults I can think of modeled
and only a few minor adjustments (rearranged protection filter parts.
Moved protection gap to output side.) were needed to make it "safe" from
such faults as the model predicts.  I have also had the "opportunity" to
test a number of these faults ;-)  So far the coil has survived perfectly
well.  Be sure to play with such things if you are a MicroSim fan.  Tesla
coils are actually very resistant to bad things happening and the few
problems found are usually easy to fix.

	Obviously testing fault conditions with "trial and error" methods gets
painful...

BTW - my latest Tesla coil MicroSim model is at:

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/LTR10-31.sch

Cheers,

	Terry