[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla's Energy Transmission (Warning Long Post)

Hi All,
         my comments below:

<< Richard Hull has written about the Colorado Springs system in
 his excellent book "The TC builders guide to the Colorado Springs
 notes of Nikola Tesla". Below, quotations are from this book (page 89).
The book is on order, and has been for 2 months - bloody waterstones.
 Tesla List wrote:

 > Original Poster: NickandSim-at-aol-dot-com
 >
 > I was under the impression the Colorado springs system was about 125kVA?

 >From book: "15kW or more. No precise high end values known." and "The
 real
 output power was .. propably under 40 horsepower". (40hp = about 30kW)
I would point out that the later notes were all destroyed in the fire - the
fire that was caused by, as I again quote from Tesla,  'A surge of power at
the heart of the apparatus'.
Therefore we cannot know how the appartus evolved.

 > I'm working from the reported terminal voltage and the estimated terminal
 > capacitance - a 100pF capacitor at 10MV is 100MJ - the starting energy is
not
 > to critical - it could be much less and the system would still work.

 A quick calculation will show that if he run the system at 2400 breaks
 per seconds (from book: "2400-4000bps"), and with 30kW input,
 he could get a _maximum_ energy of 30000kJ/s / 2400 1/s = 12.5J.. That
 is quite far from 100MJ :) and conservation of energy applies..
I am not arguing against conservation of energy and please do not imply I am.

 Maximum voltage would be E = .5 CUU, C = 100pF , E = 12.5J,
 U = sqrt(2E/C) = 490kV and less with higher top capasitance.

 So, 10MV it was not. From book: "The longest mentioned straigh line
 arc paths obtained by Tesla at the CSL were, in his own words,
 31-32 feet.". Even that was incredible with the engineering materials
 of that time (no plastics!).
Again I go by the reported spark lengths and estimated top capacitance.

 > The arcs went from the top of his transmitter to ground - the tower was
about
 > 120 feet tall.

 Can you supply a reference to that? I don't think so..
 (Not some pseudo-science keelynet text but real reference)
Thinnk so - there is a referance in the web published tesla biog - Wizard or
something like it to the grass around the maggi glowing with corona and the
tower flashing to earth.

 > Colorado springs magnifier could propogate through the earth.  The reason
 > nobody has repeated these observations is that the magnifier has to be
 > expressly designed to created these effects.  It has to be tuned to the
right
 > frequency and have a very, very large Ctop.

 Rubbish. His magnifier ran at 10s of kHz.
I did not say what the right frequency was - from memory about 28kHz - but
that is largely beside the point.

 Perhaps you wish to start building a magnifier "running at right
 frequency", with "very large Ctop" to demonstrate the effect? >:)
 Before that, you are, in effect, just describing another
 cold-fusion-antigravity-ufo-elvis-lives theory.
Can we please cut the rethoric - you know and so do I that Tesla's work will
never be duplicated until some major investor comes on the scene, and I can't
quite see JP Morgan giving it a second chance.  I may well be just another
crank, so may you and so could have been Einstein until the photoelectric
effect was proven.

 > I'm not saying that the magnifier was pumping anything like 1GJ.

 But you certainly are. Conservation of energy applies. Besides, it would
 have taken Tesla about a day to get 1GJ of energy from his 30kW supply..
No it would have taken less than half that time - 9 hours 15 minutes.

I think all this superficial argument over the exact figures has debased what
could be a very interesting debate. Can we please have a slightly more mature
attitude to this - my figures are based on fairly rough calculations and may
well be sigificantly high or low - However they do not change the debate over
what the resonant mode was and how it was excited by the Colorado Springs
transmitter.  There is also the question of the notebooks that were destroyed
in the fire and the later equipment that was destroyed with them - if anyone
can shed any light on these it would be helpful as all I have are tesla's
comparisons of the size of the Colorado springs system with his later system
and these are in words therefore I can only infer from these the approximate
size of the later Colorado springs system.
When I make contact with Charles Yost we will have some figures to go on and
then we can argue over exact figures and how to interpret them.  Until
then....

 I think
Careful... you'll strain yourself ;-)

   Kristian Ukkonen.