[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New pics and scope waveforms

Steve,

> which naturally comes with AC operation.  Of course, AC operation is
simpler
> and cheaper than DC powered TCs.  However, I would think the extra cost of
> rectifiers, charging chokes or H-bridge rotary gaps,  and DC reservoir
caps
> would be worth the greater control and simplified measuring capability it
> would yield.

DC systems are expensive! The cost of the additional parts (especially
if you go three phase) is significant. The AC solution is to use a salient
pole synchronous spark gap motor. With a SPSRSG the gap fires at the
same point on the AC waveform (same voltage each time) and that's
pretty much what you get with a DC system (albeit without being able to
vary pps as easily). I can set the 9J to fire at 480, 240 and 120 pps by
adding or subtracting electrodes.

I'm still putting together a 12kV -at- 300ma DC power supply for grins so
once that's done, I may rethink my position, but as for now, the cost is
really prohibitive.

Jeff Parisse
www.teslacoil-dot-com