[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sealing Plexiglas

<< Original Poster: Ted Rosenberg <TRosen1-at-Tandy-dot-com>

> Robert: I think you probably wore out the Spell Check Dictionary. But it
> seems I have some testing to do. Perhaps plain, old, (really not too old)
> varnish? I'm guess here folks.

> Has anyone actually sealed a secondary on Plexiglas with a 'material' that
> worked? if so, what and where and how much (US$ please). My head is spinning
> more than the winding jig at this point.

> Ted >>

Ted,

I use a water based polyurethane coating called Carver Tripp Poly.  I
think it comes in a shiny and a matte finish.  I use the shiny variety.
It doesn't seem to ruin the plexiglas, at least not visibly.  I  bought a
quart can of it 9 years ago, and I'm still using the same can.  I don't
remember what it cost.

Regarding all the concerns about different kinds of form materials, etc.
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  If you a new coiler and
just want reasonable sparks, the nature of the coil form is the least of
your concerns.  If you were trying to build a coil that will be the best in
the world, or give a tremendously long spark, or last "forever", or win a
prize for perfection, etc,  then the form might be more important.

Probably the most important things are:
Be safe and have fun.

Holiday Cheers,
John Freau