[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Richie's Homepage and other topics

Hi all,
          I just visited Richie Burnett's homepage and would like to
congratulate him on an excellent piece of work. For a well laid out
and definitive description of spark gap TC operation it is a doozy.
      I then visited Alan Sharp's site through the UK Teslathon links
and had a look at the solid state coil descriptions. I have the odd
comment to make:

(1)     Mark Barton's 10kW flamethrower was definitely using IRF840
FETs.
(2)     Duane Bylund's use of DC resistance as a starting point for
matching a driver to a secondary could IMHO be bettered somewhat
but there is still a rider.  Firstly, a better match for the driver to a non-
sparking coil could be done by *accurately* measuring the Q of the
coil and deriving its ESR using  R = SQRT(L/C)/Q.  This figure is
considerably higher than the DC resistance of the coil in general
and should be good for direct coupling. For k < 1 this figure would
be higher.
The rider: this figure would also be better for sparking conditions
(corona in particular) as the impedance at the base of the
secondary rises while the load impedance at the top reduces ( I
have measured this and infer that 1/4 wave transformer principles
do apply to the secondary - the base impedance swings about Zo^2
in accordance with loading).  This is my opinion anyway. I
measured this using link coupling to the base of a resonator a few
years ago.  Comments, measured refutations welcomed.

Regards,
Malcolm