[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Protection networks (was RE: LOW VOLUME)

I have to disagree with the notion that an effective NST protection network
may be made without the use of bypass caps.  I maintain that bypass caps are
essential in any L-C or R-C protection networks.  Please use courier font to

L-only circuit:
GAP---CHOKE---NSTsecondary---center-ground

L-C circuit:
GAP---CHOKE-+-NSTsecondary---center-ground

        BypassCAP

         ground

In the L-only circuit, the high frequencies present at the gap terminal sees
two inductors in series - the choke, and the inductance of the NST
secondary.  The RF voltage present at the NST secondary terminal is
determined by the simple ratio of the two inductances.  The protection choke
is typically a few mH, while the NST secondary is hundreds of Henries.
Since the inductance of the chokes is so drastically smaller, almost no RF
voltage is dropped across it, and the RF attenuation is negligible.

In the L-C circuit, the reactance of the NST secondary at RF frequencies is
high compared to that of the choke and bypass caps and may be ignored.
What's left is a simple L-C low-pass filter which is very effective at
attenuating RF frequencies.

The analysis of the L-only circuit was simplified, ignoring the capacitance
from the NST secondary winding to ground.  This capacitance does not count
towards making it an L-C network however, as it is a distributed
capacitance, not a lump at the terminal, capable of shunting the RF to
ground before it enters the NST case.

After having said all that, I must also suggest the use of R-C networks over
the use of L-C networks.  A pure L-C network, while very effective at
filtering the tank circuit's frequencies, will oscillate at it's own
resonant frequency at each gap firing, with equally destructive voltage
amplitudes.  Adding series resistors to de-Q the inductors will reduce the
duration, but not the amplitude of the oscillations.  An R-C network, while
somewhat less effective than an L-C network in terms of RF attenuation, has
no self-resonance oscillations.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA