[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: drying coil forms

Hi Jim,

> Original Poster: Jim DeLillo <jimdel-at-bellatlantic-dot-net>
>
> Why does PVC have to be dried at all.  Is it not plastic? Is it not
> impervious to moisture?  What am I missing here?

It isn't impervious to moisture but I wouldn't lose any sleep over
drying it out and sealing it unless you are going for max spark length
from a short coil. I used a piece of unsealed thickwall drainpipe for
a 10" spacewound coil and found that its Q dropped from 320 to
about 300 in damp weather.  I have never pushed that coil anywhere
near its voltage limit. It might be a bad experience to try.

Just a personal experience.
Malcolm