[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Misc questions

Hello All,

I recently came across some materials that I hope can be used in my
tesla coiling endeavors.
The materials are part of an insulating kit for high voltage bushings in
a main generator of a
nuclear power plant.  The generator output voltage is 15,000 volts.  The
kit is used for
insulating the connections from the generator stator to the bus bars
running to the main step-up
transformer.

The kit is made up of:

1 1/2" x 65' rolls of MicaMat Alkyd glass cloth from Insulating
Materials Inc.

Astro Chemical 6203 - This is a 4-part epoxy resin of some sort.
Also has a GE # A50 A 300C

Glyptal 9620 Clear Alkyd Varnish

1 1/2" x 65 ' rolls of cotton cloth tape

Questions:  Is anyone familiar with this type of insulating kit and how
it would be applied
as insulation?  Would this material be able to be used in some sort of
component construction
(e.g. transformers)?

There are also 3 rolls of 18" x 65' MicaMat Alkyd glass cloth tape.  I
don't know what the thickness
of the Mica is on these rolls, but I know Mica is an excellent
dielectric for use in capacitor construction.
Would this tape be good for making a home-made rolled up capacitor?  Any
suggestions for use?

Thanks,

Randy Burk