[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Series-resonant primary topology

Hi all,
          I can clear this matter up quite easily:

> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
>
> Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 26.11.99 20:28:41
>
> To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
> Subject:  Series-resonant primary topology
>

> Original Poster: Kennan C Herrick <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> >To Marco Denicolai (and all):
>
> >Whiling away a quiet morning I was thinking about series-resonant
> >t.c. drive.  I note on your Web page that you cite series L-C
> >impedance as being =SQRT(L/C)...but I recall it as being =wL-(1/wC),
> >where w=2*pi*f; or =Xl-Xc where X=the reactance at f.  At resonance,
> >Xl=Xc and Z=0.
>
> Right. Also I find from my books Z=Xl-Xc, but all the articles about
> resonant power supplies mention Z=SQRT(L/C). I must confess I haven't
> had time to investigate were it comes from. But I must tell you that I
> have measured the current in the real circuit and, believe me, Z was
> really SQRT(L/C)! By the way, that is the equation for the
> "characteristic impedance" of a line (or cable, or whatever), were L
> is inductance/inch and C is capacitance/inch. It not dependent on the
> frequency.

Technically, Z includes both SQRT(L/C) and any ESR present in the
circuit in vectorial combination. We quite often ignore ESR in high
Q resonant circuits and are left with a figure for the lossless surge
impedance.  Derived by:

With a tuned circuit at resonance, Xl = wL = Xc = 1/wC

for the lossless case, let Z = Xl = Xc    (NB - Xl-Xc = 0 at resonance)

hence, Z^2 = Xl.Xc
                 = wL/wC
                 = L/C
      => Z = SQRT(L/C)