[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: simple question

to:  Leslie

A standard electrical ground sometimes is connected to the electrical
conduit, and, or, it may travel along in parallel with the hot and neutral
wires in a piece of Romex house wiring cable.  If the RF from the bottom of
the secondary coil ground is sent along this path there is a strong chance
some of the traveling RF will radiate a short distance and induce RF
currents into the nearby neutral and hot wires, and thus send these unwanted
RF signals into your TV, stereo, telephone, fax, computer, and other forms
of telecommunication equipment.

A dedicated RF ground basically is a single conductor of 2-4 AWG fine
stranded welding cable that is connected directly to the bottom of the
secondary coil and then runs out of the building to a pair of copper ground
rods driven into the ground.  Typical installation is two to three copper
rods approx 10 feet apart driven into the ground and then connected with
copper strap or welding cable --- all in parallel.  Your secondary coil
connection is made to this ground array which provides a dedicated and safe
Tesla coil ground without having the RF traveling in ground wires that may
be parallel to hots and neutrals in normal wiring.  This type of ground wire
system also usually offers a slight increase in TC performance especially
with regard to peak RF currents in the secondary discharge.

A good dedicated RF ground also helps to insure your neighbors are not
picking up your RF hash from their power lines.  Happy neighbors are a must
in TC work.

Happy Holidays,

Dr. Resonance