[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Volatge rating of caps in VTTC

So I guess the 5KV rating would be for rock-solid, never-gonna-fail
operation. As this thing may end up a permanent  part of my High School
science department, keeping the original rating could be a good thing.
I'm planning on following plans created by Mark S. Rzeszotarski, and yes,
I'll be making a full-wave bridge rectifier and using an 8uf filter cap.
The circuit uses a small television horizontal amplifier tube, the 6146A.
 Input voltage will be controlled by one of my 3A 0-140V variacs, and the
shaft will be locked where I get the closest to 600VDC.

I know that the sparks will be shorter, but I think that the CW output
will make for a more interesting demo tool. I can always change my mind
and use unfiltered DC for pulsed output, right? Would the same circuit
work with both filtered and unfiltered?

thanks,

-Grayson Dietrich
"The Electrophile"
www.electrophile.8m-dot-com

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 14:22:59 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
> Original Poster: David Trimmell <davidt-at-pond-dot-net>
>
> Sorry. I wasn't thinking too clearly ;-). As Jim Lux pointed out,
> the 1 kv
> rating would be to low. I use the Panasonic PP caps from Digikey in
> a MMC
> configuration without problem. One string in series for my tank cap
> running
> up to 2.5 KW total input power to the VTTC.  Are you making your own
> filtered DC power supply? What type of tube are you using? One thing
> note is that a filtered DC fed VTTC produces a much smaller
> discharge than
> a "pulsed" tube coil.
>
> Regards,
>
> David Trimmell