[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: In-Line 3-Phase Variac

Hi Mark,

Your Variac looks a good find must be more than 10kVA but how to use it
fully on single phase is a problem.

Yes your right you can not just parallel the windings for the reason you
have given.

But you can just parallel two and leave the other open circuit.  If you have
an other single phase Variac you can check for saturation.  Turn the voltage
up slowly and monitor the current.  As has been said before you will notice
when saturation occurs as the current will increase faster. If it does not
saturate connect the input to the wipers at one end and to the other fixed
end, then move the wipers till you find the saturation point. Next back it
off a bit.  That's your best power out input connection if you can find a
way of making the connection independently of the wipers.

You can't short one leg with the other two powered it will be just like
shorting any transformer.

You can use it as a current limited transformer, connect the supply to one
leg and take the out put from one of the others.  The unused leg will be the
magnetic shunt.  I have used a three phase transformer this way but because
the shunt is so good you will not be able to get much power out relative the
power rating but that could still be large from the size of it.

Do you want to use it as a Variac or as a variable inductor.