[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG

In a message dated 8/3/99 6:14:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Hello all,
>
>  > I have seen a lot of discussion lately about the advantages of using sync
>  > rotaries with NST's. What is the latest thinking on RSG use with pigs? Is
>  > non sync still the best? And what break rate keeps a pig happy?
>
>  > Thanks in advance,
>
>  > New pig user, (and still trying to use static gaps),
>  >Jon Rosenstiel
>    >>

>  Jon,
>
>  There is no certain break rate that will keep a pig happy.  It depends on
>  the size of the capacitor mostly.  If the cap is large, a lower break rate
>  will work well.  If the capacitor is small, a higher break rate will be
>  needed.  The only way to get strong sparks with a small cap and
>  low break rate is to raise the pig voltage (in other words a different
>  pig maybe 20kV or so).  Another way to look at the issue is to say
>  that input power is the real key.  More power = more spark if
>  everything is working right.  I've found better  results at low break
>  rates in my work at lower power using potential transformers at
>  1 to 2 kW.
>
>  IMO, a 120bps sync gap will probably give the longest sparks from
>  a pole pig, *if* the capacitor is the right size.  Sync rotary gaps systems
>  have to be built *just right*.  With a non-sync gap, there is more
> flexibility
>  to raise the break rate and compensate for other flaws....such as a too
>  small capacitor.  It is easier to design and build a TC with a non-sync
>  rotary gap.  In any case you'll get good results because the pig has
>  plenty of power.  The 120 bps sync gap is more important with feeble
>  xfrmers such as NST's.
>
>  If you use 120bps, but the cap is too small....the performance will
>  be miserable on any TC.
>
>  Higher break rates might give a brighter spark.
>
>  Cheers,
>  John Freau

I have a 6.0" coil that I run at about 7KVA and it produces 104" sparks.  I
usually run the rotary at about 300 bps.  As I increase the rotary speed, the
performance of the coil gets better.  I have not found an upper limit to the
break rate - i.e. where the performance drops off.  I have had it as high as
600 bps and it still seems to want more.  I am concerned about the beating
the caps (.05 ufd commercial) take at this high break rate and am concerned
about the 3/8" thick lexan rotar coming apart.

Ed Sonderman