[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG

to: Jon

We usually use a non-synchro RSG running 10 electrodes spinning 1725 RPM
with 4 total spark gaps.  We run two gaps on each side of the rotor and
connect them in series.

I will have a unique opportunity to test and synchro vs non-synchro in the
very near future.  We just finished a large coil with a 10 ft spark and at
present it is set up with a non-synchro RSG as described above.  During our
operational tests next week we are going to replace the 4 gap system with a
4 gap synchro RSG running at 1800 RPM.  The close speed relationship should
provide an interesting comparison of system output.

I recall taking photos of one of Wysock's large coils approx 12 years ago
where we did this same experiment.  The snychro RSG spark didn't seem much
different, perhaps a little brighter, but after developing the film it was
evident the spark channels were much thicker and "bushy" as compared to the
thinner streamer type with the non-synchro RSG.

Our tests, which I intend to record both on video and film, we provide a
direct comparison with the same coil running both types of gaps with the
same number of total gaps (4).  System will run at 7.5 kVA.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance