[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What this beast really is? (Re: Fw: frequency (fwd))

Hi Marco,

> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
>
> A couple of things:
>
> - how do you plan to phase-synchronize the free oscillations of two
consecutive
> bangs (or am I missing something)?
> - I'm not a transformer expert, but the number of turns for a given
voltage and
> a given flux density B is inversely proportional to the operating frequency:
> lower frequency -> more turns. This means that to operate at 1/4 of freq.
> (20kHz/5kHz) you should need more turns in both primary and secondary.
> Otherwise
> you are at risk of saturating the core. More experienced guys can comment on
> this.

Actually, the need for more turns on the secondary merely reflects a
need to preserve the turns ratio for a given output. Incidentally,
you can see why the core size has to go up too. For a given peak
primary current (which includes a chosen magnetizing current and
reflected load current), more turns demands thicker wire to offset
the greater winding length and keep I^2.R losses to a desired level.
Same applies to the secondary regarding load current. Hence, the
required winding window has to increase.

Malcolm