[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Brain fry...

Hello Chris,

>Original Poster: "christopher boden" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Several snipolas

>This is the question.
>What is my required capacitence? How many and in what configuration
>do I need to make a healthy MMC?
>How much can I overenginner it? How do I do it?
>Also, what do I use for the main I/O to the MMC? I would assume
>running them into a bus bar.
>I'm toying with several different mounting methods for easy
>replacement of the caps in the (inevitable) event of failure. I'd
>like a (near) solderless method of mounting the individual caps.
>I'm estimateing needing 200 or so caps.

For more information on MMC construction and mounting search
the archives for my letter to Ed Sondermann called  "MMC size:
(Was: Re: Success with PP Multi-Mini Cap)" from the 8th of April
and have a look at Gary Lau´s site (who mounted them differently
than I did). As the MMC is still relatively new, the MATH.TXT
won´t be of much help. Neither will the other RQ cap related texts.

As to the other questions (cap size, etc): You will need to settle for
one design and then we can help you out. There are innumerous
combinations possible in designing a Tesla coil. (Just like designing
a drag car: No one can help you if you just say "I have a motor
and I wanna go fast".) The first step in designing the coil is sort of
up to you. What I mean is decide on what xformer or coil former you
want to use and then go step by step (and ask questions) from there.

Make yourself a sort of plan (what parts you need, how you will go
about building each part and in which order you want to construct
them.) What I mean is go a (more or less) fixed route and don´t
jump from primary to cap to secondary to type of wire, etc. My
other advice (READ the other posts) is start out small (3-4"
secondary, 7.5-12kV/30-75mA NST, etc) and work your way up
from there. This way you can ask definite questions (like what
AWG to use for a certain former, etc) and we can really help you.
TC´ing is a "learn-by-doing" sort of experience. How about having
a look at the TC webring? Go ahead and copy one of those many
designs (there is nothing wrong with that). That way, you will have
lots of starting pointers. With some careful thought and appropriate
questions, you might even be able to improve the design.
Remember: Beginning coilers are not "ready" for multi-kW, pig
powered, rotary, multi-Joule cap driven coils (Yeah, I know ;o)).
Once you have at least a sort of "feel" for what a TC can and will
do, then you can start upgrading your spark length.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard