[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Success with PP Multi-Mini Cap

Tesla List skrev:

> Original Poster: David Trimmell <davidt-at-pond-dot-net>
>
> Hello Reinhard and all,
>
> You and many others on this list do seem to be getting very good results
> using the MMC method. I was only thinking that the wire diameter of the
> leads would be thin, unless you are paralleling many. With, potentially,
> hundreds of amps going through these I would look for the weakest link.
snip

I have just completed a 0.034 µF cap consisting of 600 Philips 376
series caps, in 30 strings of 20 caps.
I was thinking along the same lines, regarding the wire thickness, but
with 30 strings, which have tiny bits of 0.8 mm diametre wire leads,
look at it this way: It equals more than 4 runs of RG 213 wire which
would have 28 wires. Or a copper strap 30 * pi * 0.8 mm = 30 * 3.14 *
0.8 = 75 mm ( 3 inches) wide. Asuming that this strap is thick enough to
allow full skin depth, that may be reduced to 1.5 inches.

The primary that I connect it to is 8 mm (5/16 ") copper pipe which has
a circomference of 25.12 mm or almost an inch.

So at least with this combination, there should not be any bottleneck in
the capleads.

> I would be interested in what power levels these MMC's have been used at,
> anyone use them in a >2KW coil yet?

I expect to start active coiling this weekend, provided the whether
permits, and this should take the coil into the 3-5 kW range.

<Also a price comparison with available
> commercial caps would be interesting. I seem to remember that a MMC of
> around 0.02 uFd at, say 15KVAC, would cost around $130 to $160 USD, I
> think? What is available on the commercial market for a pulse cap of like
> ratings? My Condenser Products cap cost $160, but I understand they no
> longer sell for Tesla coil use. My list of cap suppliers is out of date,
> anyone got an updated one? Perhaps I could check price ranges.

My cap is rated at 32 KVDC, and it cost me 350 clams, including the 600
VR37 resistors, ( but excluding the electricity it took to keep the
soldering iron in its heated state for a week :-)  )

And yes, I agree, it would be nice to have a pricelist from Maxwell et
al, handy.

Cheers, Finn Hammer