[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: gloves

Roland,
	It is nice to know that you have those gloves to mess w/. From my
experience, and web surfing, i haven't seen any coiler use those gloves. The
main reason why I wouldn't recommend those gloves is easy. When u have them
on, u'll have the mentalityof "oh if i touch it, i'll be safe" and you'll let
down your safety guard a bit. It is better to not have the gloves and keep
yourself VERY alert to everything around your coil. Like Nick Field said,
gloves are only limited protection.(For coiling sakes, it is barely any
protection.) remember, you mightsurvive a coil shock, and if you wear golves,
you are more likely to skip some standard safety procedures. Don't wear them
when operating so you don' skip standard safety procedures. Remember, no
matter how perfect you think you are, you are only human.
good luck,
alan
PS. An example of standard procedure is what i follow in just makin a Jacobs
ladder. I have two "Suicide Cables" conecting them. The first one has a plug
on one end to the wall socket and the other end are big alligator clips.( i
covered each clip w/ REd or Black tape to prevent a short if they
accidentally touch.)
	On my second "Suicide Cable" i have an extention cord, but there are
10 AWG sized Alligator clips on both sides.(one end connects to the ladder
while the other conncects to the H.V. output of my NSTs). They are both
covered by 1/8" thick rubber "gloves" so they can't short out by touching.
	When i operate my coil, i stand back.(enuf so if anything blows, it
won't hurt me as much). i always have my fire extinguisher within arm length
w/ the saftey pin out. When i get close to the ladder, i unplug my suicide
cable going into the wall to prevent a shock.
	The moral is.. TAKE AS MANY SAFETY PRECAUTIONS w/out USING Equipment.
USE COMMON SENSE..