[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Smooth Toroid?

Andy,

If your wire is truely corroded and not just dirty, then this means the
inside copper is exposed.  Very bad.  You are likely to experience arcs
between turns.  If you can slightly space wind your secondary, then you can
liberally coat it with polyurethane or glyptol which will penetrate between
turns and give you the insulation you otherwise may be lacking.  Good luck.

2 inch by 30 ft rolls of aluminum foil tape are available for $1 per roll
at All-a-Dollar discount and probably other similar stores.  Wrinkles are
unavoidable, should be smoothed out as best you can, do degrade the
hold-off voltage some, but your torroid should still perform well. If you
make another torroid, you might want to first cover it with something like
duct tape to give a better surface for your foil tape to adhere to.  I
suspect a cloud of air ions around the torroid may have a "smoothing"
effect on wrinkled torroid surfaces.  Does anyone know for sure?
--Steve Young