[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help PLEASE! So close.. and yet...

Yuri

Did you seal the tube before winding? That you really need to do. Also
before anyone offers any serious advice, there are a few more things
that you need to find out. Number one is the length and nuber of turns
on the secondary coil. Measure the length of the winding and divide it
by about 95% of the wire dia to find the turns. Number two is the value
of that capacitor - either (good idea) buy a cheap capacitance meter or
a cheap DMM with capacitance ranges, or, calculate the capacitance by
finding the surface area of glass between the plates, the thickness of
the glass, and use MATH.TXT (i think the formula's in there) to
calculate the capacitance. Third is the physical size and shape of the
primary coil, and its spacing from the secondary.

It seems very possible that you are way out of tune. Your cap may well
be too small to tune with the limited number of turns you have on the
primary, for a secondary of this wire guage and number of turns. You can
start initially by putting extending that primary to at least 10 turns,
myabe even 15. With more info we could find out roughly what you need to
do to get to tune. Also try one of the number of programs you can find
on the Tesla Coil Webring  or (I think) on
ftp.funet.fi/pub/sci/electical/tesla to get an idea of the tuning.

Alex