[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RF filter

Probably far short of step by step... but there is a schematic at:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/filt1.jpg

Some have thought the resistors get too darn hot so they have gone to 1K
ohm or the full 200 watt versions of the resistors...

This filter is very "universal" but does dissipate some power that
inevitably removes from the arcs.  I like it though.  I don't resonate
charge but the higher currents of resonant charging my stress the resistors
demanding that and/or higher power or lower value resistances be used.
There is also some concern that one type of resistor my be better than
others.  I use big Ohmite resistors that have a ceramic cores that seem to
hold up well against the sudden bursts of energy (good pulse power handling).

The RCR (resistor-capacitor-resistor) design is very versatile although it
does dissipate some power.  It isolates the gap nicely which helps
quenching and really removes the transformer from the nasty RF stuff.

Digi-Key sells the resistors and (I think) Dr. Resonance and others can
supply the plain high voltage caps...

	Terry