[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: just wonderin... expanded

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Seekins" <seeked-at-sover-dot-net>
>
> Hi,
> To expand on Christopher's Questions,
> I was wondering if anyone could maybe comment on NST matching.
> I've seen what seems to be conflicting info. regarding how close the
> xformers should be.
> Some seem to be saying that even a few volts difference on the output(s) of
> a pair of xformers paralleled together can cause problems.
> Others seem to imply that they just throw together a couple or more with the
> same faceplate ratings and let 'um rip.
> Anyone have any comments that might illuminate this area?
> If it is an issue, how much difference in output voltage is "tolerable"?
> (recommendations on the poor man's approach to measuring the difference
> would be appreciated too (!!))
> Thanks,
> Ed.
<SNIP>

Ed,

As long as the transformers have the same output voltage faceplate
rating you should have no problems mixing and matching. They do not need
to have the same output current ratings. You should verify that each
transformer works independently (by drawing arcs from each bushing to
the transformer's case). Don't connect a transformer that's got a "weak"
side, since it'll reduce the output of all the others when you connect
them in parallel. There's no need to actually measure the transformer's
output voltage.

-- Bert --