[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 questions on resonance (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 18:45:46 +0000
From: "John H. Couture" <COUTUREJH-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: 2 questions on resonance

  Mark -

  A Tesla coil can magnify power (watts) but not energy (joules). The energy
in a capacitor can be released in one second or in a fraction of a second.
If the energy is released in one second you are correct in that there is no
power magnification. If the energy is released in less than a second there
is a magnification of the power.

  Power = joules/seconds = energy/dt

  The trick is to determine the fraction of a second (dt) that is involved
with Tesla coils. Note that this gets complicated because it involves
energy, efficiencies, secondary voltage, Q factors, log decrements, and
other parameters. This is one of the many difficulties that arises when
developing a comprehensive Tesla coil computer program. As there are no
theoretical equations to help only empirical data from real coils can be used.

  John Couture