[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Voltage doubler

Hello, I was wondering if anyone on the list, who has a good understanding
of what is actually going on within a voltage doubling circuit, could
explain it to me. I am, at this time, using 3 uFd capacitance in my doubler
to feed the plates on my 833A tube coil, and can range from 0-2890 VAC into
the doubler (safely, keeping the tubes happy). I am very interested in
finding the optimum capacitance value for a specific power and voltage
value. I understand the principle of the halfwave voltage doubler circuit,
but would like to know if the voltage is truly doubled, and how I can find
the best value for the capacitance? I suspect that the higher the value for
C, then the greater power available, but I need to find that optimum value ;-)

Thanks for any assistance,

David Trimmell

PS. I am using the doubling circuit that Dave Sharpe and John Freau have
used on their tube coils, i.e., cathode grounded on the diode.