From: Tesla List [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 1999 11:29 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Measuring inside a coil

Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>

Hi John, all

>Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <COUTUREJH-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

>  Brian, All -
>
>  Greg or someone was inside the secondary terminal not the secondary
coil.
>With a large TC the magnetic fields could be very high so don't wear
your
>wrist watch.
>
>  However, would it be possible to use a Hall effect magnetic field
sensor
>with instrumentation circuits terminating in the secondary terminal
(toroid)
>be a method to detect the fields? Would this nullify the Faraday shield
>effect of the terminal that is protecting the person reading the
>instruments? Are there any volunteers?

While I donīt want to volunteer (and I wouldnīt fit inside
my coil or toroid anyway :o)), I think as soon as you bring
any kind of conductor inside a Faraday cage, all safety bets
are off. I think you would nullify the effect of the cage. IF the
cage is connected to ground, you should still be safe from
outside strikes, but if any of the measurement cables that
go inside the cage get hit, (I think) there would effectively
be no cage present. Of course, you MIGHT be lucky and
not get any strikes to the measuring cables INSIDE of a
secondary, but I would be tooooo chicken to try. (:o)

While I am sure that someone will point out the flaw,
question: Wouldnīt the secondary itself be a sort
of Faraday cage for someone standing inside? While
I have seen interturn arcs, etc, I have never seen a
coil arcing inside (from one side of the former to
the other). Saying this, I am assuming NO conductors
enter inside the secondary coil former, of course.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard