[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Repost of :Strange NSTs (was Re: Found it ! :o(( )

<<snip ,> For example, just changing from a sync gap to a
> async gap will (I think) change the efficiency of the setup.

> Coiler greets from germany,
> Reinhard

Reinhard, all,

I would think that charging a cap once per half cycle using a
sync rotary would be the smoothest and most efficient way to
charge, and would result in lower transformer losses than with
any kind of higher break rate scheme.  In "Principles of Radio
Communication by Morecroft" (1921), he suggests that a sync gap
may fire near the zero crossing point of the input AC voltage, which
avoids the production of heavy charging currents when charging the
cap, and makes transformer saturation less likely.  At least this is
my interpretation of the data.  He also suggests using a cap that
is somewhat larger than "matched" for smoothest operation.

John Freau