[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary coil wire type

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "afa2fg" <afa2fg-at-email.msn-dot-com>
>
> Greetings,
>    I sent this post yesterday, but it got lost in the void somewhere. I'll
> try again.
> I have a roll of 1/4 in. solid copper wire. Is this satisfactory to use for
> the primary?? My secondary is 2 1/2 in. dia. with a 24 in. height of 24 ga.
> wire. I will be using either a 15 KV-at-30 ma. or a 15KV -at- 60 ma. NST. I have
> both sizes.
>    Please bear with me till I gain a little more knowlege about TC's.
>
> Thanx
> George

George,

Your 1/4" solid copper should work just fine for the primary, it's the
secondary that is a bit askew. I like to keep the aspect ratio (diameter
to height) on my coils between 1:2 for large coils to no more than 1:5
for small tabletop coils such as yours. I, personally, would use no more
than a 10" to 12" winding length for a 2.5" diameter coil.

Ed Wingate RATCB