[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2 questions on resonance

Hi Terry,

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twf-at-verinet-dot-com>

<snip>
>         The maximum firing voltage actually occurs about 40 degrees AFTER the
> peak in the primary wave form.  That sure "sounds" funny but this is the
effect
> my last paper mentioned.  If I try to set the sync gap to fire on the
peak, the
> firing voltage drops drastically.  This is a hard thing to explain without
> "live" computer or scope wave forms in front of one.

I'd suggest that in effect this is tuning the charging period to the
resonant frequency of the NST inductance and the larger cap. The
notes about erratic firing and apparent unsuitability of using a
large cap value with a static gap are well taken. I've seen this for
myself. I suggest that this phenomenon is closely associated with the
research done by Jameson in the ROTJIT program and explanatory notes
where off-frequency charging resonance causes conflicts with the
mains frequency and conspires to give erratic effects in some rotary
systems. I think the transformer actually requires the gap short at
firing time in order to assist energy storage in its leakage
inductance. A few maybes in the melting pot. I now can't see any
alternative but to switch to a sync gap to get the best from a NST.

Malcolm