[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NSTs and Cap Charging.

  Malcolm -

  Your example is typical of what every coiler is faced with when designing
a coil. Unfortunately the coiler using these calculations only ends up with
a fictitiious solution. In your example the 720 VA NST rating cannot be
compared to the 565 joules and 462 joules rating of the primary capacitors.
Comparing power (VA) ratings with energy (joules) ratings requires that time
periods and efficiencies must be taken into consideration.

  Actually the 720 VA rating would probably never be realized in Tesla coil
operation because the TC load reduces the voltage and, therefore, the VA
rating. The 565 and 462 joules in the capacitors is a random condition that
varies with each bang as shown by the waveforms. This means that for each
bang you would have to know the instantaneous input watt seconds and the
instantaneous capacitor joules for that particular bang and that particular
coil operating at that particular condition.

  However, for the overall picture of the TC operation the major TC
parameters can be estimated using the proper equations and data from real
coil tests. This makes it possible to develop a TC computer program like the
JHCTES program. This program has been found to be resonably accurate and can
be easily adjusted to conform with new test data as it is received. The
program does not include operating spark gap conditions because there is not
enough proper empirical data available to include in the program at this time.

  John Couture