[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Measuring inside a coil

Tesla List wrote:

> While I donīt want to volunteer (and I wouldnīt fit inside
> my coil or toroid anyway :o)), I think as soon as you bring
> any kind of conductor inside a Faraday cage, all safety bets
> are off. I think you would nullify the effect of the cage. IF the
> cage is connected to ground, you should still be safe from
> outside strikes, but if any of the measurement cables that
> go inside the cage get hit, (I think) there would effectively
> be no cage present. Of course, you MIGHT be lucky and
> not get any strikes to the measuring cables INSIDE of a
> secondary, but I would be tooooo chicken to try. (:o)

I seem to remember from some obscure beginners electrostatics lessen that
charges tend to accumulate on the outside surface of a sphere.  If this is
in fact correct, it would probably apply to a toroid as well.

It seems to me that this would severely lessen the chances of the secondary
discharging inwards, although I'm not about to test that theory.

Going out on a limb,
Adam