[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Success with PP Multi-Mini Cap

Hello Mark,

Hey, long time no hear :o)

>Original Poster: Mark Finnis <mefinnis-at-medicine.adelaide.edu.au>

Snip

>I think construction is actually the easy bit.  The major factor
>needing to be defined is how far we can stretch the voltage
> envelop of the cap ratings, and how long these will
>subsequently survive.
>
>The last posted design used strings 16 x 1.6kV  =  25.6 kVDC
>
>This is clearly below the DC rating figure we (royal we = "the list")
>would recommend.  For 15 kVAC a rating of > 40 would be
> considered minimum,and 50kVAC a standard to aim for.

While not wanting to quibble, you forgot one important
thing: The 3-5 times rating is used as a safety margin
in homebrew PE caps. However, they are built with
non uniform (thickness) and non virgin (dirt inclusions)
material. The MMC does not experience these problems.

I (presently) run my MMC at peak AC = rated DCV.
They have a total run time of ~1hr+ behind them and
show no ill effects. Iīve killed a few PE caps a lot
quicker than this........ :o((

>Down in Australia these are about $2 each, and we are now talking the
>same money as a Maxwell pulse cap !!

My tip: look for surplus goodies. At lot of surplus companies
will buy up stuff from companies that have gone out of
business or a large quantity of a line of stock that has been
discontinued. I paid 28pf (~16 cents) for my caps (each, of
course). So, for me at least, thatīs way cheaper than any
commercial single unit pulse cap.. :o))

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard