[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Capacitor info (was Re: tesla-d Digest V99 #153)

Get a good Philips capacitor handbook.

There you can find all derating curves for their capacitors + a lot of useful
infos.

A couple of useful things:

1. Capacitor rated voltage decreases dramatically as frequency increases. A 2
kV
DC rated cap. at 10 kHz can be good for no more than 400V! Each capacitor has
got its own derating diagrams.

2.You can easily calculate what current peak a capacitor will withstand from
its
dV/dt rating (usually V/us). It goes like:

    I = dV/dt * C.

e.g. a 1000 pF capacitor rated for 10000V/us will withstand 10A surges (10000 *
1E6 * 1000 * 1E-12 = 10).

Good luck!

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 06.04.99 21:45:49