[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Power Factor Caps

has anyone tried utility power factor correction capacitors on a
tesla coil?  I have available to me a couple of units that are rated
for 14.4kv primary duty.  Rated in KVAR.  I haven't converted this
to uF yet. Has a BIL rating of 125KV which should be tough enough
for coil use.  They are large, probably knee-high and weight at
least 100 lbs.  Do these things  have some fatal defect such as high
ESR or high dielectric loss that would make them not work?  I hate
to lug one home and try to build a coil around it if it won't work.
I see these things for sale on utility apparatus sites on the net
really cheap so this would be a good resource if it works.

John

--
John De Armond
johngd-at-bellsouth-dot-net