[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What is going on??

On Mon, 05 Apr 1999 08:05:05 -0600, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Reinhard Walter Buchner" <rw.buchner-at-verbund-dot-net>=20
>
> Hello All,
>
> After reading the posts from Alex, Jon and Gary about
> resonance recharging, I tried something. However, I got
> more questions than answers.... :o(.
>
> Please use courier font to view the experimental setup:
>
> O--------p||s------|
> |        p||s      |
> |        p||s      |
> sig.     p||s     ---
> gen.     p||s     --- cap
> |        p||s      |
> |        p||s      |
> O--------p||s------|
>

> My xformer is a 7.5kV 75mA NST. The turns ratio is 1:32. I
> applied a variable signal generator to the input of my NST.
> The p-p voltage of the sine wave was 5V. The capacitorless
> output of my NST was 160V (no surprise here).
>
> The impedance of this xformer is 99999.9 ohms. For a XL=3DXC
> cap (at 50Hz) I would need a 31.83nF cap. On the secondary
> side, the coil to coil resistance was 1414 ohms, so the Q of the
> xformer would be ~70. Core losses should be non-exsistant
> in my case (because of the low current flowing).
>
>> very interesting info and results. I did not know that a ferromagnetic
coil could resonate to this degree. I tryed putting steel segments in   30
series  14 gauge coils -at-500 ft spools to see if the induction rise compared
to air core could generate a higher voltage than the  air core method alone<
I think I recall it did not.  Even though the impedance and X(L) rises and
therefore the Q and supposed voltage rise available in resonance, it
actually does not because at the same time the ability of an air core to
resonate is far superior to that of iron. Series resonance means an
instaneous amperage response from the applied voltage with no time lag due
to magnetic inertia. Because the ferromagnetic domains must rotate or change
positions this implies the intial time lag effect of these magnetic fields
is very evident in which amperage lags behind voltage HDN