[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ISEF display

At 06:08 PM 3/31/1999 , you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Jim Lux" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>
>

>----------
>> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: ISEF display
>> Date: Tuesday, March 30, 1999 4:36 PM
>>
>> Original Poster: forlaser-at-gte-dot-net
>>
>> before you go and build this puppy, you better be certain you will be
>alowed to
>> use it. From what I remember of the ISEF rules (I did the science fair
>thing
>> back some years ago) you cant use more than about 20v, unless it's
>properly
>> insulated per some national code. I'm not sure what code would say about
>> insulating a 200,000 volt source of harmonic rich AC, but i'm sure the
>safety
>> inspector at the fair will raise an eyebrow from the neon sign
>transformer, let
>> alone the coil. Another part of the rules included a clause that said
>there can
>> be nothing distracting or offensive. even a small coil makes a heck of a
>lot of
>> noise, so you might get complaints there. Also coils through off ALOT or
>RF
>> interference. An ISEF has one of the highest 'packing desnities' for
>electonic
>> and computer gear I've ever seen outside of an electronic and computer
>gear
>> trade show. You might run into problems there to... I don't want to be a
>stick
>> in the mud, but I just thought I should let you know about potential
>problenms
>> you may have...
>> Pyroguy
>>
>Good comments.. Why not kill many birds with one faraday cage. It will
>solve the interference problems, and if you interlock the door to the cage
>with the power supply (i.e. a switch in the AC power that only closes when
>the door is closed), it will address the legitimate safety concerns. Put
>all your gear inside, and operate it through the walls of the cage with
>plastic rods.

I thought of that also, it could add a level too the experiment, you could
show the uses and properties of faraday shielding, by using a portable
radio inside the cage, and outside the cage, when the coil is run.  But
won't a ungrounded or poorly grounded Faraday cage act more as a antenna
and radiate some of the RF?

Regards,

David Trimmell