[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cooling your components

>Has anybody tried cooling the components in liquid nitrogen?

Great Idea! Bad Plan :-(

Plus:
    Liquid Nitrogen is about -400F so it would DEFINATELY cool your
componentry. (And look Really cool while doing it)

Minus:
      Supercooling electronic components (and anything else) tends to
DRASTICALLY alter physical properties (Conductance, hardness etc...).
Most superconductors have to be supercooled in either liquid nitrogen ot
hydrogen (even colder, as far as I know the coldest their is).
The internal structural stress from the change in temp could damage
things as well. I've played extensively with liquid nitrogen (I build
lasers for fun) and have seen some REALLY unusual things happen when you
deep-freeze something.
 If you get the chance...try dipping an *EMPTY* 1 gallon metal can into
liquid nitrogen, just make sure the caps on tight.
Have fun.

Chris B.