[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flash Tubes

Hi Ed,

> Original Poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
> >
> > > Original Poster: "JimmyD" <jim_del-at-email.msn-dot-com>
> > >
> > > I was toying with the idea of using flash tube (more like the standard
> photo
> > > strobes) to be used as a sealed spark gap for tesla use.  Is this
feasible
> > > or am I way off base??
> >
> > Been there, tried it. No good. Average power throughput is far too
> > great for the tubes to handle. They are designed as one shot devices
> > and get hot very quickly in even a midget powered TC. They also have
> > an unfavourable resistance characteristic which causes bigger losses
> > than an open air spark gap.
> >
> > Malcolm
>
>         Do they work at all?
>
> Ed

Yes, poorly. After a few shots, I didn't even contemplate repetitive
running with any significant power because the tube got so hot. From
memory, I ran about 70mJ at around 30 - 40 PPS for a few seconds. I
did spark output from the coil but it was tiddler stuff. However,
this was a small tube. It might be on for a large tube (multi 100J)
submerged in a cooling fluid although I don't know whether the
temperature differential across the thickness of the glass envelope
would cause it to rupture. Another drawback was the amount of light
emitted.

Malcolm