[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Triggered Gap

----------
From:  Robert Davis [SMTP:RE.Davis-at-btinternet-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, January 29, 1998 1:54 PM
To:  'tesla-at-pupman-dot-com'
Subject:  Triggered Gap

Dear All,

Has anyone used triggered gaps to fire their coils?

I am building a small Oudin coil driver and was thinking about trying a
triggered gap, input voltage is low at 200-600 VDC so the only other option
is a Triac or SCR, I will try a three terminal gap with the center
electrode used as the trigger, EHT pulse from an 8kV xenon flash Tx.  The
coil wattage is low at < 100W.

I think a triggered gap may quench better as the gap spacing is much larger
than normal for the high current path.  I assume the gap spacing is mainly
dependant on the triggering voltage?

Any comments?

I will report my results if I have any success.

Best wishes, Rob Davis (UK)