[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Glass Caps

----------
From:  Jeff Corr [SMTP:corr-at-enid-dot-com]
Sent:  Sunday, January 25, 1998 11:56 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Glass Caps

>Anyone ever run a medium or large coil with a glass cap?  I'm trying
>to figure out how bad the heating problem is at 1KVA and up.  I've
>only built 3 small coils, all under 500VA.  All I've ever used is
>glass caps, and I've only experienced one unexplained failure in a
>foil & window glass cap on a 380VA coil.  A hasty autopsy revealed
>glass panes laced with very fine, spider web-like cracks.  Might've
>been due to thermal effects.  My current 450VA coil runs with salt
>water bottle caps.  I think the water sinks so much heat, I'll never
>be able to detect RF heating at such low power input levels.

I have run my coil at 1350VA with SW caps before.  Usually though, I
used 900VA.  I have lost three bottle caps at this power level.   Perhaps
it is just the fact that I am using 15kvs, but it seems to me that as your
power levels increase, the life of your bottle caps decrease.  Ironically,
Tesla used SW caps in many of his 25kva+ experiments :)

Jeff Corr   |   corr-at-mail.enid-dot-com   |   580-234-6749
http://www.harvestcomm-dot-net/personal/corr/index.htm