[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Voltage/Length (fwd)

----------
From:  Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz [SMTP:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br]
Sent:  Friday, January 23, 1998 12:41 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Voltage/Length (fwd)

John H. Couture wrote:

>   There is no question that the energy in the secondary circuit is less than
> the energy in the primary circuit as I indicated. However, you did not
> address the issue of POWER in the secondary circuit. This power is much
> greater than in the primary circuit. This means that the energy equation you
> used must be modified to reflect power not energy in the secondary circuit.
> The sec voltage is not RMS as in the pri circuit.
>
>   The TC can magnify power which makes it unique in the electrical world as
> no other electrical device can do this magic. This confounds many engineers,
> scientists, etc. who are not familiar with TC operation. This makes TC
> design a challenge to produce a good coil.

This physics is rather weird. Power is simply a measure of energy transfer
per time unit, and before using it you shall say from where and to where the
energy is going. In a resonant tank there is large power flow between the
capacitance and the inductance. In a Tesla coil circuit, after a closing of
the spark gap, there is a large oscillating power flow between the primary capacitor and
the primary inductor, that is progressively transformed, as energy is transferred
at a smaller power to the secondary by the coupling, into the -same- (or somewhat
-less- due to losses) large power flow between the secondary inductor and the secondary
capacitor. This is easy to see without calculations, as both circuits oscillate
at the same frequency, and the maximum energy at the secondary circuit cannot
be larger than the initial energy in the primary circuit.
When a spark occurs it quickly discharges the secondary capacitance, and this
is really done at very large power, with the energy that was in the secondary
capacitance being dissipated as heat, light, noise, and some irradiation.
The other point where power amplification can occur is in the energy transfer from
the power transformer to the Tesla transformer. But this is simply because most of the
energy that was stored in the primary capacitor is transferred to the secondary
circuit in a few HF cycles after the spark gap closes.
In conclusion: There is moderate power flow between the power transformer and
the primary capacitor. There is huge peak power flow between the capacitances
and inductances in both tanks. There is large power flow between the primary
tank and the secondary tank.
No mystery.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
mailto:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br