[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Ground (fwd)

From: 	Bert Hickman[SMTP:bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com]
Reply To: 	bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com
Sent: 	Tuesday, January 20, 1998 9:01 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Tesla Ground (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Josh,

This approach works if one end of the high voltage supply is grounded,
and this same end is also connected to the base of the secondary. Now,
if the grounded end is also connected to the innermost turn of the
spiral primary coil, you end up with minimal voltage difference between
the primary and bottom of the secondary, reducing voltage stresses
between the two. This helps minimize the possibility of getting a hot
power arc from the primary to the secondary which could damage the
secondary winding.

This configuration also permits the primary to be positioned a bit
closer to the secondary which results in better coupling and a more
compact primary. However, this approach cannot be used with neon
transformers due to the center-tap being tied to the core/case of the
neon. Hope this helped!

Safe coilin' to you, Josh!

-- Bert --