[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Green glow

From: 	Gregory R. Hunter[SMTP:ghunter-at-enterprise-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, January 02, 1998 1:51 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	RE: Green glow

> To:            "'Tesla List'" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> Subject:       RE: Green glow
> Date:          Thu, 1 Jan 1998 17:33:28 -0600

Gomez,

I think most regular tungsten lamps are charged with argon or some
other inert gas.  That's why they look like a plasma globe when
zapped by a TC.  The purpose of the gas filling is to prevent the
filament from slowly evaporating away and plating itself onto the
glass.  Old style cold-cathode x-ray tubes were pulled down to a
pretty hard vacuum, which enabled electrons to build up a good head
of steam before they banged into the target anode.  Gas filling
should preclude x-ray tube action by damping high-voltage electrons.
I don't really believe my green glow is caused by x-rays.  Even so, I
plan to run a test or two, just to make sure.  My thing is USAF
communication/navigation/radar electronics--not domestic lighting or
x-ray technology.  Feel free to enlighten me if I'm spouting
nonsense.

Happy New Year,

Greg

Feeling like Roentgen in bleak East Anglia