[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: good RF groundplane construction? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 21:19:39 -0600
From: Jeff Corr <corr-at-enid-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: good RF groundplane construction? (fwd)

Lemme tell you about my ground setup just because I feel like
typing today and really need to pracitce typing :-)  I run 15kv
at 60ma (two 30ma neons) and use SW caps with about .01uf
rating.  I have gotten an absolute maximum of 41 inches of
spark with my SW caps, pretty proud of them.  Anyway, my
ground system is not the best, but I use two copper ground rods
(four feet long) four feet apart.  They are then connected together
with AWG #4 solid copper.  They are located outside my house.
A ground wire goes through the brick wall into the garage, where
I do all of my coiling (if your into drilling holes in your house).
I have found it is easiest just to bury the entire outside ground
setup under the ground.  I dug a foot deep hole where each ground
rod would be, and a 6 inch deep "trench" between the two.  After
setting the rods in the holes and connecting them, I ran the wire
to the brick wall, up about a foot, and drilled a hole for it to go
through.  I completely buried the rods and the cable.  Easy to mow
over, you don't accidently step on the ground rods (ouch) and its
a neat and nice job.

Jeff Corr
corr-at-mail.enid-dot-com