[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

bargain or dead bird? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 17:25:33 +0100
From: solva-wijnschenk <solva-at-xs4all.nl>
To: "tesla-at-pupman-dot-com" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: bargain or dead bird?

dear all,

as new coiler I just broke down my first coil which gave me 12-15"
streamers from a 15 KV 30 mA NST, 24 windings primairy, 0.02 uF C(prim)
Leyden jars and 13 pF top cap with a 2290 windings, 4.33" diam/ 33.7"
lenght sec coilform. Way out of tune but startling results for me as
beginner.

While preparing for upgrading my coil (tuning and powering up) I have a
few questions:

Prim. Caps:
Before starting to build my own rolled caps, i thought of using plastic
picnicplates as isolation between the aluminiumsheets used in the
kitchen (is this what they call 'flashing alu' ???). For higher voltage
or after a breakdown only adding or replacing plates is needed. The caps
are easily made and stackable to higher values.
1) HAS ANYBODY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE CAPFORMS??

I was offered tens of NST 8000 V varying from 30-50 mA for 13 U$ each
only. What about cascading them for higher voltage and switching them in
parallel for higher current? Also somenone offered me a transformer with
variac (!) with 7000V/ 700mA output including a vacuumpomp for 400 U$.
Sounded very attractive but what is more important for getting long
streamers?
2)HIGH VOLTAGE OR HIGH CURRENT?

This big transformer needs a cap(prim) of about 0.32 uF.
3)DO THESE BIG VALUES FOR CAPS REQUIERE SPECIAL ACTIONS OR GIVE CERTAIN
PROBLEMS?

Isn't it so that when firing a coil in different place with different
max. poweroutput of the partcular walloutlet and thus different settings
of the variac->
4)THE  CAPS and GAPS ALWAYS SHOULD BE READJUSTED WITH DIFF.
VARIACSETTINGS?

the static gaps described as build up with pvc tubes: are they just a
PVC tube with several pieces of copper tubing stack up in a row through
the pvc tube and
5)ONLY USE THE FIRST AND THE LAST PIECE OF COPPER TO CONNECT THE GAP?

6) AND IS THE ALWAYS DESCRIBED FAN JUST BLOWING THROUGH THE PIPE TO
QUENCH?

7) CAN I  SIMPLE ADJUST GAPLENGTH BY CONNECTING 1 SIDE OF THE GAP TO THE
FIRSTLAST OR SECONDLAST (ETC) COPPERPIECE?

Waiting for answers, chears  Sparky