[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Acrylic Caps vs. Glass Caps!! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:45:29 -0600
From: Zuma <mwise-at-ns.sosis-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Acrylic Caps vs. Glass Caps!!

I recently was told not to use Acrylic because it was very lossy.
But the one thing that I didn't understand is Glass, so I have been told
is probably the worst capacitor to use, which I agree with. But what I
don't understand is that Polyethylene has around a 2.2 k factor, right.
Acrylic has around a 2.8 k factor. Glass has around a 5 or 6 k factor.
On this I am assuming that the lower the k factor is, the lower the loss
factor is. Is this right?? If so Acrylic is not a very bad dielectric
to be used. In Fact compared to Glass my opinion would be that Acrylic
would be a better dielectric than Glass by a long shot. Assume this
polyethylene is a 1 on a 1-10 scale, glass is a 10 on a 1-10 scale.
Based on that what would you rate Acrylic(plexiglass) between 1-10.
Any input into this would be greatly appreiciated. Because if I am
correct about acrylic being many many times better than glass I am
going to construct a cap using acrylic sheets and it is going to be
thoroughly saturated with oil&kraft paper between every plate.

Tanks Chrisj