[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Variac arcing = kickback? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 98 11:44:02 -0500
From: Adam <absmith-at-tiac-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Variac arcing = kickback? (fwd)

> Do you have a GOOD grounded line filter
>in the AC line between the variac and the
>transformers?

Nope.  I have a 20A corcom filter between the wall socket and the variac,
but nothing between the variac and the neons.

Right now, I am designing a primary-side protection circuit to go between
the neons and the variac.  I am using the same schematic as the corcom
filters, but with more robust components and a much lower cutoff freq.  I
am also putting a second safety gap and the few suitably rated oil caps I
have (mostly from microwaves) across the primary of the neons to help
absorb the impact before it hits the line filters.  Then finally, a MOV
across the mains input to the whole setup.

Another question:  Should the line filter's ground go to the RF ground?
And what about my second safety gap- would this also benefit from a
grounded center terminal?

-Adam