[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Temperature to melt NST tar and sonotube forms

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:17:13 -0700 (MST)
From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Temperature to melt NST tar

There is one problem with chipping the tar out when it's cool/cold.  The
tar shatters like glass leaving shards everywhere.  While this is not a
problem in the cold, when it warms up, there are little balls of tar
everywhere.  Be sure to do this chipping outside and in a location where
you won't track it inside.

RE Sonotube forms and puncturing -- While I did not have an arc strike the
side of the tube, I did experience dielectric breakdown between the coils,
and had arcs inside the tube between windings.  Yes, something was
probably wrong, but this was my first coil and I was bummed that it blew
that easily.  I also had not urethaned the form beforehand though.

Chip

 Chip Atkinson
 http://www.pupman-dot-com
 --- If I can't fix it, I can fix it so it can't be fixed --